Chicago Midway Airport
New Fuel Farm and Jet A Hydrant Fuel System – Design/Build
Project scope of work included the complete design and construction of a new fuel storage and pumping facility including tanks, fuel piping, primary electrical power, control/instrumentation, fuel containment and operations building. The Fuel Farm consisted of the construction of three (3) new 15,000 barrel storage tanks (total capacity 630,000 gallons) including site work, concrete foundations, storage tanks, containment dike walls, fuel piping, fire suppression system, site utilities and electrical work.
Jet A Hydrant Fuel System:
Project scope of work involved the complete development, design and construction of a new forty-four (44) hydrant fuel system. The work included the construction of 10,000 feet of underground 10", 12" and 14" fuel piping, remote refueling station, pipeline cathodic protection systems, concrete isolation valve vaults, emergency fuel shutoff system (EFSO), pipeline pigging and flushing, and system commissioning for service.
Meccon performed the contract as the Design/Build Contractor. Project responsibilities:
- Project development and coordination with Midway Airport airlines & City of Chicago Department of Aviation.
- Project engineering and design services.
- Fuel system project management and field supervision.
- Fuel system quality control and non-destructive testing program.
- Direct hire of work force for all fuel system piping work.
- Direct hire of work force for site utilities installation.
- Project safety program.
- Fuel system hydrostatic testing.
- Development and implementation of fuel facilities flushing procedures.
- Project scheduling.
- Direct subcontractor contracting for the following work:
- General Site Work including earthwork, road construction & landscaping.
- Concrete tank foundations & dike walls.
- Tank fabrication, erection and tank interior and exterior coatings.
- Cathodic protection systems.
- Electrical power and control.
- Other specialty subcontractors.
Contract Basis and Completion Performance:
Meccon performed this project on a Guaranteed Maximum Cost (GMP) Basis, within the project schedule.
- Project Completion: November 2002