Project Manager/Estimator responsible for industrial/heavy industrial mechanical construction projects of all sizes. Responsibilities include but are not limited to overall project planning, estimating, project management, scheduling, resource allocation, project accounting, Contract Administration, and Safety Management and Quality Control, while providing technical direction and ensuring compliance with project quality standards as required by Contract.
Construction Project Manager Responsibilities
- Perform a key role in project planning, budgeting, and identification of resources needed.
- Create the teams, develop the objectives/goals of each and assign individual responsibilities.
- Project accounting functions including managing the budget, tracking of team expenses and minimizing exposure and risk in the project
- Ensure that construction activities move according to pre-determined schedule.
- Devise the project work plans and make revisions as and when needed.
- Communicate effectively with other contractors and subcontractors responsible for completing various phases of the project.
- Coordinate the efforts of all parties involved in the project, which include the architects/engineers, consultants, contractors, sub-contractors and tradesmen.
- Monitor the progress of the construction activities on a regular basis and hold regular status meetings with all the sub-teams.
- Maintain strict adherence to the budgetary guidelines, quality and safety standards.
- Periodic inspection of construction sites.
- Ensure project documents are complete.
- Identify the elements of project design and construction likely to give rise to disputes and claims.
- Serve as a key link with the clients and review the deliverable prepared by the team before passing onto client.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- A four-year bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, construction management or equivalent technical/field experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in construction projects.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good understanding of MEP building systems.
- Standard Computer programs (Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel) skills. PrimaVera 6 Scheduling software experience is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of legal issues, safety & quality standards is essential.
Qualitative and Other Attributes Required
- Ability to plan and organize a team effort.
- Good client management and goodwill building ability.
- Capacity to motivate, lead and boost morale of the teams.
- Effective time management and logical decision-making ability.
- Capacity to handle pressure.
- Willingness to travel extensively across the construction sites.
- Physical and mental fitness is a given.
- Strong focus on quality.
Conclusion of Responsibilities:
In essence, the project manager acts as the backbone of the entire project. It is a position of great leadership, responsibility and energy, requiring complete and thorough technical knowledge of the construction process with the strongest possible focus on quality. A project manager is the leader who conceptualizes the construction project, and is responsible for its smooth organization, implementation and completion, to the satisfaction of its clients.